Monday, March 28, 2016

Touches of Whimsy

Ah yes, "what is life without whimsy". A quote from Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory" who ironically is one of the most un-whimsical characters ever created for television!  I love Sheldon nevertheless even if he can be frustrating and a tad scary.
" Sheldon" and me

Someone I would entirely imagine as being lighthearted and whimsical was George Harrison.  His historic home "Friar Park" was loaded with touches of whimsy. So I decided to follow his lead albeit on a much smaller scale.
My nod to Roswell

Fairy hole

Norm the Gnome

Poor Norm the Gnome, he and his little home had the crap beat out of them every night thanks to "Matt Dillo" and his eternal search for grubs.   So Jim made a staircase for him and permanently attached him to the tree!  He hasn't moved since.

Wizard with hat


Western cart and waterpump
 
 Jim had also cut a wizard hat but the rotting tree stump wouldn't cooperate and it ended up looking like a man's body part which was pointed out gleefully by my sister Roberta. I can't have that, this is a family yard! So I bought a cardboard wizard hat from Dollar Tree and stuck clear contact paper over it assuming that it would last maybe through one rain storm. A year and several storms later the hat still looks perfect!  I thought about changing his hat with the seasons as I had such good luck with this one. He can be Uncle Sam all summer and maybe a too thin, violent looking Santa. Yeah, maybe not.

Everyone who is real close to me knows I love Steampunk!  I dressed my oldest grandchild in Steampunk for last years Halloween. Only one uninformed person didn't know who/what she was portraying.  Everyone else thought she was very cool. Even her dolls couldn't escape my new interest.

Bri in the Steampunk outfit I made for her

First Steampunk Barbie with gear driven skirt and guns she stole from GI Joe.

Western Steampunk with corset top, gun belt and skull head walking stick


So I definitely needed a new Steampunk outlet. Then came a show "Steampunked" where artisans proficient in that trend build Steampunk rooms to add to a home. What a great idea!  The bathroom episode was awesome, they made a bathroom look like a Victorian era Nautilus inspired submarine!  I wanted to recreate what they built but knew it would never happen with my capabilities. Okay so my bathroom doesn't look like the Nautilus but there are Steampunk touches here and there.   The first picture shows the gears shower curtain, and a little steampunk display with my Victorian adventurer lady. The second shows a propeller clock, industrial lighting, vintage apothecary bottles and an octopus with top hat soap dispenser. The last two pictures are of brass fish that were already in the bathroom.  They wouldn't do at all so I Steampunked them, and now they fit in and look bad-ass.





 We plan on adding more lighthearted touches of whimsy, when you own a home that looks like a space station, why be serious?

No comments:

Post a Comment