Tuesday, October 11, 2016

My visit to the Rainbow Bridge

I believe I may have visited the Rainbow bridge in my dream...  There was a beautiful immaculate cabin in the woods.  Surrounding it was a forest with a creek and a waterfall. Even the forest was immaculate with not a leaf nor twig on the ground.  Old people were walking out of the cabin with animals.  One woman with a huge smile on her face told me her cat was 15. I thought if this was a type of animal shelter why would someone adopt a 15 year old cat?   So I walked inside and another smiling person said to me " Miss Kitty is all ready for you"!  They handed me Miss Kitty!  I could smell her ( the aroma of perfume) and could feel her weight.  She was purring and I said to her " I had forgotten how soft your fur was".  Outside we admired the gorgeous surroundings, I told her I never wanted to leave, then I woke up.

My daughter Tara and a friend of mine-Joan- both said the same thing, that she wanted me to know she was okay and being looked after.  Earlier that day Jim had cleaned out the garage and inside the trash can was her old litter box. I spent most of that day sad, thinking about how I missed her! I believe she knew I needed to see her and was only too happy to help.  I believe there are pets in heaven and I can't wait to be reunited!

Like the late great Will Rogers said; " If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."  Ditto to that!

There is a famous Hospice story, a woman was in her final weeks of life.  She was a career woman, had no friends to speak of, no family except for a cat who was her constant companion over many years.  She would slip in and out of deep sleep and every time she would awaken she would say that she saw her cat at the end of a long tunnel. The next time she was asleep he was closer, next time closer still.  Finally she went into a coma for which she did not return. She made a horizontal motion with her hand. One nurse said, "oh look she's waving goodbye".  The other nurse said, "no she's not, she's petting her cat".  Right after the woman passed. She did have family who would be at her side forever, her cat.

Miss Kitty was a rescue cat but sometimes I wonder who rescued who.  She was a little odd at first and didn't warm to us right away. After a few days she finally came out of the room and rubbed against me and I cried! Finally she would find it in her heart to love me.

For the first several years she would never lay on us. She would lay near us, next to us, but not on us. Then one day I got extremely emotional during the movie " Sweet Home Alabama" when they showed the pet cemetery scene and the woman was crying over the grave of her dog.  I lost it and started crying too thinking of my beloved dog Axl who had died a few years prior. Miss Kitty ran into the room, jumped on my lap and did her paw massage while looking sadly into my eyes!  It was the first time she EVER did that and usually she would run and hide if I got emotional. But not this time.
What was different? I think Axl came to her and told her I needed her help and she wasn't gonna run and hide this time!  Ever since that day she was much more loving, like she knew what her position was in the household, therapy cat and affectionate friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment